I am falling to bits
I take a tablet every day for indigestion
I have arthiritis in my hands
My IBS is legendary, and extremely embarrassing and inconvenient in turns
I have a little bit of carpal tunnel in my wrists
And I have had a cold every other week since September.
I am overweight
I get out of breath climbing the stairs
I am not fit
I drink way (no really, WAY) too much coffee
and intermittantly too much wine
I could eat more healthily
Enough is enough
(in the background, fade in 'Eye of the Tiger')
Christmas is nearly upon us and inevitably there follows the new year. I need to make some dramatic changes to my lifestyle. And possibly my diet (I love food so I am struggling with this a little..)
Four years, 3 months and 8 days ago (not that I am counting) I gave up smoking. I did this, primarily, to live longer. So I could see my children grow up. Unfortunately, I liked smoking (a little rebellious part of me still thinks it looks cool..I know it isn't but...shhhh lets just not tell anyone that) I miss smoking. I don't miss it's power and the way I planned my day around cigerettes, but I miss the quiet moments, the sitting outside looking at the stars (and thinking I look cool). So I replaced cigerettes with food and wine - mostly twiglets. It has taken it's toll. I was supposed to get fitter when I gave up, instead I have put on a load of weight and now my heart is fighting with vast amounts of lardy colesterol and carrying around XXX stones of extra weight (I love you all but I am not sharing that with you - I am still angry with the Wii Fit for telling me how much I weighed with ne'er a by your leave, but that's another story!). I still worry about cancer (20 years of heavy smoking makes you worry about cancer - unless you are a complete idiot). So now I worry about cancer and heart attacks, giving up smoking is brilliant. I am a worrier.
So not just a change of lifestyle and diet, but a change in attitude. I need to stop worrying and just start doing. And concentrate on the primary goal. Live longer, watch my children grow up - and participate in that.
New years resolutions...that's how - obviously.
So what do I need to do and change and stuff?
- Reduce coffee drinking to two cups a day
- Stop eating the fried, high in fat food
- Twiglets every day...really...No!
- Exercise is not a bad word
- The Wii Fit is my friend
- So is the bicycle in the garage that has quite literally got ivy wrapped around it.
- Say hello to salad and soup without cream in
- Say goodbye to my old friend cheese. I love cheese, but sometimes when you love something you have to let it go...
- Yes volumptuous is sexy, but weezy is not.
- Less is more ... whoever said that originally was talking rubbish, less isn't more, it's less....Rubbish
- Remain positive, if I have a pack of Twiglets or 3 cups of coffee it is just a glich and not a reason to give up.
- If I exercise it does not mean I can eat more
- Make my portions smaller
- Do the yoga, not only will it make me healthier it may actually relax me and help with the IBS.
- Go swimming, walking, biking more with my lovely children and husband
PS - Smoking is not cool, I did not look cool smoking and anybody who does smoke is rubbish. Honestly.